The history of the Greater Johnstown Community YMCA dates back to December 1869. The original incorporators of the Johnstown Association operated a library from a one-room building in the downtown area. This group emphasized the need for knowledge and instilled the Christian principles that we strive for today. After moving to several locations through the city, as the group grew larger, a more permanent home was established in May of 1914 on Market Street. This location provided housing for young men and offered a safe haven for many in need of assistance.
After 65 years of growth, the YMCA needed a larger facility to serve Johnstown area and decided to build the current facility located at 100 Haynes Street. The goal was to provide a new, modern facility that would include an Olympic size swimming pool, full size basketball court, indoor track, racquetball courts, free weights, cardio/nautilus room, and locker rooms.
The YMCA has continued to expand its facility to provide programs to the changing community needs. The Johnstown YMCA now serves the entire community and has reached beyond its doors to provide outreach programs to businesses, churches, schools and other outlying communities.